Image Map

Five Goals For Fall




I'm a goals person. Setting goals helps me get stuff done and gives me purpose for my days beyond work, cleaning, and cooking. Can I get an amen?

Completing my two goals this summer (camping three times and climbing two 14ers) left me with a sense of accomplishment, and motivated me to make some goals for fall.

I know the latest blog craze is to set monthly goals, but that just seems a little daunting to me. Let's be honest, I'm writing my list for fall now and it's already halfway through October (how does that happen?) I've had these goals in my mind for longer than just today, but today they're going down in writing. I have until the first day of winter, December 21, to complete my goals. Or until I decide that fall is over which may be December 1st or it might be December 31st. 

Without further ado... 

1. Start working on our wedding scrapbook. 
 It's been over a year, and all our wedding pictures lie in my virtual Facebook album , and on the jump drive our photographer (my brother) gave me. 

I decided this is the season to change that so I bought some materials at Hobby Lobby (holla for 50% off!), started gathering some ideas, and hopefully will be off to a good start by the end of this season!

2. Increase the posting frequency on my blog to 2-3 times a week. 
If you've been around here for any sort of time, you've probably gathered I only write about once a week. This is partially because I second guess my post ideas and let my conscience tell me they're lame, partially because I'm getting used to the sheer amount of time it takes to put together a good quality post, and partially I've been working on my blog design a lot and sometimes find that more fun than actually writing posts (weird right?) 

All that to say, you can expect some more posts this fall! 

3. Get involved in one way at church 
The husband man and I just moved and fortunately found a church that we love on our very first week in Denver. I can't even begin to describe how much of a blessing this has been! Our very first time at church was their fall small group (they call it "house church") kickoff, so right away we were able to get plugged into that and have met some great people! 
We were in the process of getting more involved at our old church but our 45 minute commute and my work schedule made it really hard to find something that we could consistently commit to. Although my work schedule is still the same, we are a lot closer to this new church and would love to get more involved. We don't know what this is going to look like, but we are praying about it, and Alex (I'm at work) will be attending a type of "new member welcome gathering" on Sunday where he can find out where the help is needed. 

4. Be intentional about making connections and creating community
I realized not too long ago that a belief I've had since I was a kid was "If people want to hang out with you, they'll make an effort to reach out and see you." While I believe that there is some truth in this belief, I also have come to realize that thinking like this puts me in a position of waiting for people to befriend me which is #1 lonely and #2 not very effective. 

The Bible study I am currently working through examines King David's life, and in one of the more recent lessons, the study pointed out that David was one who initiated relationship. The study went on to examine a few passages that highlighted this, and it made me realize that, while there might be some truth to the above statement, I need to be willing to step out of my comfort zone and make new connections and create community. 

This could look different for different people, but right now my tentative idea is to text/reach out to 2-3 people that I've either never hung out with, or rarely hang out with, and see if they would like to do something. Maybe it'll turn out being more than 2-3 people, but for now that's my goal! 

5. Get ACLS and PALS certified
This is a goal that's 100% related to work and is actually my professional goal for the year at work, but it's something I've been wanting to do for about two years. ACLS stands for Advanced Cardiovascular Life support and PALS stands for Pediatric Advanced Life Support. 
These are two certifications that go more into depth regarding specific ways to treat life threatening conditions including lethal heart rhythms and shock. I'm signed up for the two classes mid-November and a good chunk of time will be spent doing case studies, simulations, and studying for both certification exams. My inner nerd is kind of excited. 

So, those are my five goals for fall. Do you like setting goals or not particularly? If you do, what are some of your goals? I'd love to hear them in the comments below so I can cheer you on!

(Joining in with all the lovely people at Goals with Grace and Jack of All Trades).
post signature

13 comments :

  1. great goals! we found it hard to get involved at church... it's hard to commit to do something every other Sunday, or even once a month. there was a huge need for help with the children's ministry, though, so we agreed to do it. we were put with 3-5th graders, which has been surprisingly fun! I hope you find something you and your husband really enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right it is so hard! The commitment doesn't seem terribly big yet seems like a lot especially when I can only go twice a month due to work. I'm glad you guys found something your enjoying, in optimistic we will too! Thanks for the encouragement and for stopping by! :-)
    Sarah J

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love #4!!! I think it's so important to be intentional with ALL friendships!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goals are so great! I love making goals each month to help keep me on track and stay moving forward. You have so many great goals! I love your goal to create community. Create community can be tough sometimes but it's so worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so wonderful, seriously! I love that you are setting realistic and measurable goals :) --so inspiring! I have found that friendships can change so much when more effort has to be taken to maintain them -- different stages of life, different geographic locations etc. My husband is the best at meeting with guys for coffee and calling up his buddies -- and he knows full well that it would probably take the guys 10x longer to make the efforts to call him. *sigh* love him... anyways -- thank you for sharing! I look forward to hearing more about your church involvement as well! <3 much love

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes definitely! And it's so something I'm not particularly good at so hopefully this will help me improve!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah definitely! And creating community is definitely one of those things that I've been learning about hanging around you ladies' (Meg, Beth, yours, and a couple others') great blogs! It's definitely an area of growth for me right now (and it always will be, but especially now haha)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that's so cool to hear that about your husband, especially because that is so unlike men in general (at least in my experience!) I know my husband certainly isn't like that haha.
    Thanks for the encouragement! Hopefully I'll have a good update to share in a couple months! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So, honestly I've realized that some people are just terrible about making plans. I'm usually the one who reaches put to people, and I'm just used to it now. I think being intentional about making connections is a great goal for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Also, get on that wedding scrapbook, girl! It's not going to make itself :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for goals! You've got some really great ones and I can't wait to see how they pan out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha thanks! We'll see how I do with all of them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha I know I know! Your wedding scrapbooking-ness inspired me! And you're so right, some people are just terrible about making plans... I think I've struggled with not taking that personally, but now it's just going to be my goal to get over myself and be the one to reach out.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
UA-54475585-1