Image Map

Memorial Box: Flying Standby


It has been several months since I shared a Memorial Box story, but I hope to share more of these stories in 2015. If you don't know what a Memorial Box is, click on over here to read my explanation. Don't worry, I'll wait for you to come back before I start the story! 

I was blessed to be able to go home for Christmas 2014 and spend time with my family. Alex had to drive back a couple days after Christmas because he had to return to clinical. I had some more time off than he did and decided it would be worth buying a one way plane ticket back to Denver so I could spend some more time with my family. My ticket was for the morning of New Year's Eve- I was to fly in, sleep a little bit, and then go to work that night. 

Well as things would have it, I got a text about 10PM the night before I was supposed to leave saying that my flight had been cancelled due to air traffic control problems (whatever that means). My parents and I spent the next two hours online and on the phone only to find out that every single other flight in the area and on different airlines was completely booked. My only option was to try and get on a plane on standby. We went to bed at midnight planning to wake up at 4AM to try and get me on a standby flight at 6AM (remember I was working a 12 hour shift that night and now was only going to get four hours of sleep). 

This particular work shift was incredibly important to me; at my work you get points for the holidays that you work, and these points help determine which holidays you work the next year (more points=work less holidays). I had not worked any holidays this year and therefore hadn't accrued any holiday points so it was vital that I worked New Year's Eve and New Years Day so that I would have some points going into next year's holiday assignments. Any other work shift I probably would have called in sick, but this particular shift I really wanted to make. 

Anyway, I digress. My parents and I woke up on New Year's Eve at 4 AM, arrived at the airport a little before 5 and walked in only to find a giant line at the check-in desk. After half an hour of waiting in line we walked up to the clerk, explained my situation. His response was, 
"Well we've oversold the flight by five people and there's five people on standby ahead of you. I can put you on standby but I highly doubt you'll get on this plane." 
He almost talked me out of it, but my Mom convinced me that it was worth trying. I got my standby ticket, and spent the next twenty minutes in the security line. I hugged my Mom briefly saying "Well, I'll probably see you in fifteen minutes." My Dad had gone to move the car so I didn't even say goodbye to him- I was convinced I wasn't getting on.

I got to the gate and was surrounded by a dozen people that were still waiting to get on. At this point I told the Lord that it was in His hands and that I believed He could get me on the flight if I was supposed to be on it. At this point it was 6:10 (the flight was supposed to leave at 6), and they were still trying to board everyone. I watched as a man went to the ticket counter and ask if they were still looking for volunteers to rebook a flight for the next day. The ticket clerk responded yes, and the man replied that him and his wife would volunteer.

About five minutes later I heard them call "Is passenger Jenik here?" I jumped out of my seat and practically sprinted to the ticket counter. After 10 more minutes of waiting at the counter the clerk handed me a ticket saying,
"We were able to find a seat for you Ms. Jenik. You're the last person on the flight." 
I took my ticket, profusely thanking the Lord as I excitedly boarded the plane, and texted everyone that I had gotten on. I got to Denver an hour later, and in bed getting some sleep before my night shift by 10AM. This was earlier than I originally was supposed to get home and the extra sleep helped my New Year's Eve night shift go smoothly.

There were ten people ahead of me in the cue waiting for tickets to Denver. The ticket clerk scoffed at my chances of getting on the plane and I was filled with doubt myself. But God. 

I don't know why out of six flights going out to Denver that day mine was the only one cancelled. But God.

It was nothing short of a miracle that I boarded that plane when the chances were so slim. But God. It was never beyond His power. 

He continually reminds me that He cares, even about the littlest things. He continues to gently coach me into trusting Him. And He continues to show me that the power He holds is so far beyond chances, statistics, or reason. As a reminder of this story, a small toy plane has been added to my Memorial Box.
"22 Then Jesus said to his disciples: “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear... 24 Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! 25 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life?"- Luke 12:22, 24
Be encouraged today. He cares about YOU. He cares about the little things. You are held in the palm of His hand and nothing goes unnoticed by our God. 

{The Memorial Box idea was created by Linny over at A Place Called Simplicity. Head over to her page to read more stories of God's faithfulness}

{Linking up over at Tuesday Talk! }

6 comments :

  1. Wow, I love the idea of a Memorial Box! What a great way to remind yourself of how God takes care of you! What a great story too. But I especially love the one about you getting your first job. This makes me think I should share what little "miracles" we received when we adopted... Thanks for sharing your story and linking up with us today! -Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is so faithful! So glad you shared in the link party today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so good to remember the ways God has been faithful and your Memorial box sounds like an excellent way to do that! Thanks for sharing your flight experience. It's always encouraging to be reminded of how God cares about our little details.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this last night and couldn't comment. It was certainly something I needed to read last night. I love reminders of how God does take care of us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheryl, it's amazing how often we need to be reminded isn't it? I'm glad that this was a good reminder for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's incredible how often we need to be reminded isn't it? I'm glad you found this as an encouragement! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
UA-54475585-1